Thursday, July 15, 2010

Stag and Doe

Warning: this post is picture heavy again!

On Saturday night, my mom planned a stag & doe for Mr.D and I when we were in Ontario. I know that stag & doe's are not common outside of Ontario, so I thought a little explanation might help you understand. Wikipedia explains it as:

In Canada, a stag and doe, or buck and doe, is a wedding tradition popular in Southern Ontario. The event is usually organized by the bridal party, but in some circumstances may also be held by the bride and groom before they are married, similar to a 'Jack & Jill.' It acts as a fundraiser for the wedding. Guests purchase entrance tickets and are entertained by draws, food and drink, music and fun and games. It is not a combined bachelor party and bachelorette party, or engagement party, as the primary focus is to raise money for the engaged couple.

My mom planned a bunch of games for the night. They included: a toonie toss, balloons, hola hoop toss, hammer the nail, etc. I have some of the games in pictures, so I will explain them as I go.

The first game was hammer the nail. Basically you were trying to hammer the nail in the least amount of hits into the board. Let's just say that I didn't win!



My younger brother's friend attempting to win

The second game was the hola hoop toss. For $2, you got to try and toss five rings over Mr.D's head. Luckily he had a helmet on! Whoever got the most rings over his head won a gift certificate to a restaurant or a bucket of beer.


I wasn't doing very well, so someone gave me a chair while Mr.D came closer and let me put one around his head


An action shot of Mr.D

The toonie toss was for a bottle of alcohol. You paid $2 each toss and the goal was to get it as close to the bottle as possible. It was hilarious to watch how competitive people got for a bottle of alcohol!


Mr.D and I


My older and younger brother announcing one of the games (the cowboy hat was a decoration...he doesn't actually own that!)

The funniest part of the night of the "mockormony" that my mom came up. Neither of us had no clue what was about to happen until my mom made Mr. D stand at the front and put a "veil" on me. My mom had a friend be the priest and lead our "mock ceremony". It was a really funny ceremony that talked about hang overs, for worse, etc.


My dad walking me down the "aisle". I was laughing so hard at this point!


Mr.D and I during the "ceremony"


Our first kiss as "husband and wife"


The most important part of the night...the bouquet toss! I think I win for best expression of the night.

Overall, it was a fabulous night! Lots of family and friends came out and supported us. We were happy to catch up with family and friends that won't be able to make it to the wedding.

6 comments :

  1. Oh my goodness, you are about to be married soon! So exciting :) The hubby and I got married in April of '09 - so happy for you!

    Stop by One Fine Wire if you get a chance, I've got my wedding pics up!
    www.finewire.blogspot.com

    So nice to meet you, and congratulatios in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like fun! LOVE your dress! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that - it looks so fun though!! I'm so glad you got to have a big celebration like that with all of your family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie-ChristineJuly 15, 2010 5:25 PM

    I'm a new reader amd I'm from Québec city. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Mr. D are such a cute couple! Looks like such a fun night!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. stag and doe is simply known as a "social" in southern Manitoba. But I am not aware of anywhere else in Canada that maintains this tradition.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...