Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Recent reads V2

A couple weeks ago I shared some of the books that I had recently read. I went through another reading frenzy and thought I would share some more with you. The theme this time is thrillers- not sure how that happened. 


No One Knows by J.T Ellison

In an obsessive mystery as thrilling as The Girl on the Train and The Husband’s SecretNew York Times bestselling author J.T. Ellison will make you question every twist in her page-turning novel—and wonder which of her vividly drawn characters you should trust.

The day Aubrey Hamilton’s husband is declared dead by the state of Tennessee should bring closure so she can move on with her life. But Aubrey doesn’t want to move on; she wants Josh back. It’s been five years since he disappeared, since their blissfully happy marriage—they were happy, weren’t they?—screeched to a halt and Aubrey became the prime suspect in his disappearance. Five years of emptiness, solitude, loneliness, questions. Why didn’t Josh show up at his friend’s bachelor party? Was he murdered? Did he run away? And now, all this time later, who is the mysterious yet strangely familiar figure suddenly haunting her new life?

In No One Knows, the New York Times bestselling coauthor of the Nicholas Drummond series expertly peels back the layers of a complex woman who is hiding dark secrets beneath her unassuming exterior. This masterful thriller for fans of Gillian Flynn, Liane Moriarty, and Paula Hawkins will pull readers into a you’ll-never-guess merry-go-round of danger and deception. Round and round and round it goes, where it stops…no one knows.


My rating: 3.5/5
Thoughts: I can't say too much about it, but it definitely had me turning the pages. I definitely did not see the ending coming!




He revved the engine and I held tight with both hands as the bike lurched forward, We zoomed down streets, leaning into the curves, wind whipping over me. I pressed into his back until all I could smell was the leather tang of his jacket, and all I could taste was the sweet thrill of flying away.

Keeping secrets is second nature to Nearly Boswell. Living in a trailer park outside Washington, DC, with a mom who works as an exotic dancer, she knows better than to share anything that would make her a target with her classmates. Only her best friends know about her obsession with the personal ads, and Nearly hasn't told anyone about the emotions she can taste when she brushes against someone's skin.

Then a serial killer goes on a murder spree and starts attacking students, leaving cryptic ads in the newspaper. Nearly might be the one person who can put all the clues together, and if she doesn't figure it out soon - she'll be next.

My rating: 3/5
Thoughts: Not entirely sure I was sold on the whole story line, but it's not bad for a young adult thriller. 




Zoe Whittaker is living a charmed life. She is the beautiful young wife to handsome, charming Wall Street tycoon Henry Whittaker. She is a member of Manhattan’s social elite. She is on the board of one of the city’s most prestigious philanthropic organizations. She has a perfect Tribeca penthouse in the city and a gorgeous lake house in the country. The finest wine, the most up-to-date fashion, and the most luxurious vacations are all at her fingertips.

What no one knows is that five years ago, Zoe’s life was in danger. Back then, Zoe wasn’t Zoe at all. Now her secrets are coming back to haunt her. As the past and present collide, Zoe must decide who she can trust before she—whoever she is—vanishes completely. 

My rating: 3.5/5
Thoughts: Another book where I didn't see the twists and turns, and ending coming! Really liked this one. 


Right Behind You by Lisa Gardner

Is he a hero?

Eight years ago, Sharlah May Nash’s older brother beat their drunken father to death with a baseball bat in order to save both of their lives. Now thirteen years old, Sharlah has finally moved on. About to be adopted by retired FBI profiler Pierce Quincy and his partner, Rainie Conner, Sharlah loves one thing best about her new family: They are all experts on monsters.

Is he a killer?

Then the call comes in. A double murder at a local gas station, followed by reports of an armed suspect shooting his way through the wilds of Oregon. As Quincy and Rainie race to assist, they are forced to confront mounting evidence: The shooter may very well be Sharlah’s older brother, Telly Ray Nash, and it appears his killing spree has only just begun. 

All she knows for sure: He’s back.

As the clock winds down on a massive hunt for Telly, Quincy and Rainie must answer two critical questions: Why after eight years has this young man started killing again? And what does this mean for Sharlah? Once upon a time, Sharlah’s big brother saved her life. Now, she has two questions of her own: Is her brother a hero or a killer? And how much will it cost her new family before they learn the final, shattering truth? Because as Sharlah knows all too well, the biggest danger is the one standing right behind you.


My rating:3.5/5
My thoughts: I didn't realize this was a book in a series with the same characters, but it didn't affect me reading it and not understanding parts of it. I really enjoyed it though!

Tell me: what have you read lately?


6 comments :

  1. The Vanishing Year sounds interesting but I want to know why you only gave it 3.5 if you really liked it?!

    Also, it's funny how there are so many books that are compared to Girl On The Train these days. I went on a huge reading spree in March, I read 6 books total! Right now I'm reading a Man Called Ove and it's sooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a thriller that was really good called "Her Every Fear." It's by the same author that wrote "The Kind Worth Killing" which I think you read and liked. My friend picked this book for our quarterly book club. It was really good and such a page turner for me! I've been reading up a storm lately, too. It's been a wide variety of books and I've given most 4 stars!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read I Let You Go last month which I think is in the thriller category although the first half is pretty slow - It definitely has some big twists in it that I DID not see coming at all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read any of those! I am reading a 'thriller' right now for my family book club and I think that is just not my favourite type of book. I am finding it way too easy to put down. I have heard Behind Closed Doors is really really good though so I'm going to give that a try next, it's been recommended to me from a few different people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any of those books, but I really do like thrillers (and mysteries). Lately I have been reading a lot of non-fiction. I just finished Animal, Vegetable, Miracle and am currently reading Grit. Next up is Hillbilly Elegy. After that, I need something light and fluffy!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So 3.5 stars if you really liked it? What makes a book a 4 or 5 then? ;) I have not been reading anything!!!! I can't even explain why, my heart just isn't in it :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...